2017-01-26

Muscle Memory And CTRL+F

I experienced a handful of "firsts" this month. I installed Windows 10, followed soon after by installing SQL Server 2016 and SSMS 2016. It didn't take long for me to hit the CTRL+F keyboard shortcut in SSMS, which of course opens the "Find" dialogue. In the particular version of the Visual Studio Shell that SSMS is built upon, the Find dialogue is quite different than in previous of the shell. But this wasn't a shock to me. I'd seen in before in other Microsoft products including Visual Studio Express and Visual Studio Community.

Not only had I seen the "new" Find dialogue, I had also used it--a lot. So I was no stranger to it. But the new experience of SSMS 2016 got me thinking about what was new, what was changed (better or worse), and what no longer existed. I guess it was at that moment that I decided the current Find dialogue sucked. So I griped about it on Twitter, naturally.


Emboldened by a couple of Likes and a Re-Tweet, I experienced another first: I opened my first Microsoft Connect item. Feeling pretty good about myself, I lobbied for up-votes on Twitter and LinkedIn.

Fast-forward about a week and I see this Tweet from Matteo Taveggia:


Aw, damnit. The "Classic" Find dialogue is there. It's just called "Find in Files" now. Jeez, I feel like a doofus. Not only did I miss seeing it in SSMS 2016, I missed it in Visual Studio Express 2012, which I've been using on and off for about three years. Face-palm.


What Was I Thinking?

How did I go so long and so far without noticing? In my defence, I've been using CTRL+F for "Find" for far longer than I care to admit. I don't have DOS 5.0, Windows 3.1 or Windows 95 to verify, but I'm betting it's been in everything from Notepad to Word to Microsoft development tools for the past 25 years. Ditto CTRL+H for "Replace", along with CTRL-R (replace) and CTRL-A (replace all). I've been using those shortcuts for so long, I was able to blissfully continue using the "new" Find/Replace dialogues without even looking. But I'd still like to see the "classic" Find/Replace dialogues with the CTRL+F and CTRL+H keyboard shortcuts.


Customizing A Keyboard Shortcut

The good news is that you can customize keyboard shortcuts. I'll let MSDN walk you through how it's done. Suffice it to say, my environment now looks like this:

Visual Studio Shell CTRL+F Custom Keyboard Shortcut
Visual Studio Shell CTRL+H Custom Keyboard Shortcut


SHARE